The annual West Seattle 5K Run/Walk will take place on Alki Beach on Sunday, May 20, with proceeds going towards educational programs at West Seattle High – where both WLB Publisher/Editor Scott Schaefer and Writer/Sales Rep Mark Neuman graduated from.
May 20 will also mark Seattle Summer Streets “car-free day” on Alki.
“Enjoy the most scenic, flat and fast 5K road race in the Puget Sound region!” reads an announcement.
Afterward, stick around for some summer fun sponsored by Seattle Summer Streets and many of the participating businesses and community groups.
To register for the West Seattle 5K or for more information, visit: www.westseattle5k.com.
Online registration closes at 6 p.m. on May 17th.
If you don’t leave Burien much, here’s our super-secret shortcut to Alki:
- Take SR-509 North
- Exit to West Marginal Way
- Take West Marginal Way all the way into West Seattle (until it basically ends)
- Veer right under the Spokane Street Viaduct
- Take the Harbor Ave/Avalon Way exit
- Turn right onto Harbor Ave and cruise to Alki!