The Des Moines Arts Commission is seeking outdoor art pieces for a new Sculpture Gallery to be exhibited along the main streets of des Moines, including the Marina and Beach Park for one year from May 2013 to May 2014.
“Our public art initiative invites professional and emerging sculptors and artists to submit their outdoor art pieces to be displayed for sale or not in the City of Des Moines for one year,” reads an announcement. “This rotating exhibit may include up to 7 pieces of art to be sited on Marine View Drive, at the Marine or in our Parks. Artists whose art is chosen will be required to sign a loan agreement with the City of Des Moines.”
The Des Moines Arts Commission will take a 20% commission on art sold, which will go toward purchase of sculptures for a City Sculpture Garden.
There is no entry fee, and the deadline to apply is Dec. 1, 2012.
CRITERIA FOR ART AND INSTALLATION
The work must be made of the highest quality materials that hold up in a variety of outdoor conditions, demonstrate structural soundness, safety and stability for an unsupervised general audience, be guaranteed against defects and deterioration and fit into a downtown, marina or park setting.
Each piece must be of sufficient size to be easily visible to passersby, on foot or in vehicles, when attached to a foundation/pedestal that is 20 inches high, 32 inches square and has a MILD steel plate on top. The sculptures selected must have a ¼” thick MILD steel base or bars attached that can be spot welded during installation.
Maximum parameters for sculpture: Weight, 5,000 pounds, Height, 12 feet, Width, 5 feet
Artists will be required to provide transportation to the site for installation and transportation from the site at the end of the exhibition.
Artists of selected art will be paid a stipend of $500 to defray expenses related to this exhibit.
BENEFITS FOR ARTISTS
- Full color brochures including map of sites, photos of sculptures and brief information regarding sculptures and artists will be widely distributed.
- Sculptures will be promoted through special events and advertising within the community and surrounding areas.
- Installation will be done by an experienced crew.
- A CURRENT RESUME that includes day/evening/cell phone, fax, email, internet and mailing address
- A BIOGRAPHICAL STATEMENT in 200 words or less that best describes yourself that we will place on our website
- AN ARTIST’S STATEMENT that describes your work (inspiration, personal statement) particular to each entry and suitable for publication
- THERE IS NO ENTRY FEE
- DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES – DECEMBER 1, 2012
If you are interested in sponsoring a pedestal please email firstname.lastname@example.org.