Sister Site The B-Town Blog Honored As ‘Best Hyperlocal Site’ In Northwest
Our sister site The B-Town (Burien) Blog was awarded a huge honor Saturday night at Safeco Field – it was awarded ‘Best Hyperlocal Site’ in the entire Pacific Northwest by the Society of Professional Journalists!
Here’s more from their story:
My Oh My! – Saturday night (May 21st) at Safeco Field, The B-Town Blog team hit a major home run when it was named ‘Best Hyperlocal Website’ by the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) in their annual awards that covers Washington, Oregon, Alaska, Idaho and Montana.
“We received more than 2,500 entries from dozens of media organizations throughout the region which were then reviewed and rated by out-of-state judges,” reads the SPJ website. “Congratulations to all of our 2010 SPJ award winners and to the editorial, design and production teams that helped make their work possible!”
This is a huge honor for everyone involved with The B-Town Blog, which was started as a hobby by Founder/Publisher/Editor Scott Schaefer in Dec., 2007, then turned into a full-time business in 2008.
Now, we’ve been awarded the top prize in our category for the entire Pacific Northwest by our journalist peers, and we are humbled by this honor.
Since this is an award for the entire team, some serious shout-outs are required now to everyone who works very hard to make this site the ‘best,’ including:
- Michael Brunk, Photographer/Technical Guru
- *Ralph Nichols, Senior Writer (*also a 3rd place winner in Business Reporting for his series on Burien Town Square!)
- Janet Grella, Sales Diva
- Mark Neuman, Writer/Marketing
- Bart Bryan, Sales Dude/Video Host
- Philip Benais, Intern, Big Picture High School
- Bryan Charles, Intern, Big Picture High School
- Nicholas Johnson, Reporter/Photographer
- Kristen Kerns, Sales
- Lisa Bosques, Sales
- Jack Mayne, Reporter
- Rachel M. Lusby, Writer
- Gina Bourdage, Reporter/Designer
- Francis Zera, Photographer
- Joy Steele (aka “Missed Congeniality”), Humor Columnist
- Shawn Underwood, Humor Columnist
- Theresa Frasch, Sales
- Many others!
Over 200 awards were handed out Saturday night in a ceremony hosted by Jerry Brewer of The Seattle Times and Jen Mueller of Root Sports (download a PDF of all winners here).